There are so many different “rules” and “regulations” when it comes to weight loss, sometimes it is hard to figure out what you actually need to do to lose some weight!
These are 6 basic steps that will help you shed those extra pounds…
- Drink water and stay hydrated! You should be drinking half of your body weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, you should be drinking at least 75 ounces of water each day. Water helps your skin, hair, metabolism, digestion, bloating, and keeping you full. Did you know that when you feel hungry, sometimes you are just thirsty, but your body confuses the two? Water. Water. Water!
- Eat protein at every meal. Protein helps the body build and re-build muscle which is super important, especially if you exercise on a regular basis. Protein also helps you feel, and stay, full which decreases your chances of snacking on sugar in between meals. There are a ton of protein filled food to keep you going throughout the day such as eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, peanut butter, beef, fish, and chicken just to name a few. If you are one of those people that eat protein bars like it’s your job, stop! A lot of protein bars on the market are filled with high fructose corn syrup and sugar. One good protein bar, such as Quest Bars, is sufficient each day…not 10!
- MOVE. Each and every day make sure you are being active in some shape or form. If the gym isn’t your thing, take a 45-60 minute power walk. Maybe you like the gym…switch it up each day….do some cardio on the elliptical, treadmill, or stairs. Make sure you get some weight training in there too. The more muscle you have, the more calories and fat your body burns. Don’t over do it though. Work out hard 3-4 days and then spend the other days doing something such as walking, bike riding, hiking, etc.
- Eat breakfast! So many people skip the most important meal of the day. Your body needs fuel in the morning since it was just dormant all night long. Not only does eating in the morning get you going for the day, but it boosts your metabolism and decreases the urge to snack and eat unhealthy foods during the day.
- Eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day. This will also keep you full. Do you see a pattern here? If you feel full on healthy foods, you won’t eat junk food or have a sugar crash. For example, for breakfast you can make yourself a veggie omelette, then snack on some yogurt and fruit, have a nice salad with some type of meat or fish, snack on a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter, and have a nice dinner with another source of protein, vegetables, and a good carb/starch such as a sweet potato.
- Stay away from processed foods! Foods that have more than 4-5 ingredients in them are a big N-O. Think about what our ancestors from years and years ago ate. There were no factories over producing food with additives and dyes. People ate what was found off the land. That should be your way of thinking. Always check to see how many ingredients there are, and if it comes wrapped in a package from a factor, it is most likely terrible for you. Processed foods are filled with unwanted and unnecessary toxins and additives that your body doesn’t digest….they just stay in your system and hinder weight loss. A good rule of thumb is if you can catch/hunt it, plant it, or it has less than 5 ingredients, you are good to go!